My Name is Carrie and I am a Highly Sensitive Person,

 


From the time I was a child, I struggled with feeling deeply hurt by the things that others seemed to shrug off.  I would notice when my friend’s parents were having friction.  I was always easily startled by the slightest unexpected sound.  I created worlds in my mind of a life and place I wanted to be.  I was considered painfully shy. Even when I was younger I pondered thoughts that could make one’s head spin.  I hated and of course still do, conflict and avoid it at the cost of my own true sanity. When I am watching a TV show with violence I will gasp and sigh while someone else will have no response.  I am oddly not a perfectionist, but am definitely detail oriented.  I have always had a certain ability to put myself in someone else’s shoes.  As I have gotten older I cannot stand the way some clothes feel against my skin; it can be the texture of the material or if it is too tight or up against my neck.  Even at the age I am now, I still utterly struggle with criticism or the idea of having done something wrong.  It will put me into a mental tizzy of recounting in my head of the events and feeling devastated. 

I guess one could argue whether I actually am a highly sensitive person or an empath, but having read some articles like this one about both, it all certainly makes sense.  I feel like I have discovered something important; a clue, an answer, and some missing pieces to a puzzle that I longed to finish but truly never could.

Comments

  1. I definitey resonate with this post, my friend.I dont know if we are overly sensitive or other people arent sensitive enough, lol....I think I am an empath too - I feel the pain of so many beings, especially now, on this planet. We have to take care of ourselves, learn what is other peoples' stuff to carry, and try not to take it personally - easy to say, hard to do. But we are doing our best, which is all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would Sherry. I know you are definitely an empath for sure my friend. You are so right, it is easier said than done to know what to carry and what to let go. Thank you so much for reading this my friend.

      Delete

Post a Comment